SMPDD is the designated Area Agency on Aging (AAA). In concert with the Mississippi Department of Human Services, Division of Aging and Adult Services and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Community Living, the Area Agency on Aging serves as the public advocate for the development and implementation of comprehensive and coordinated home and community based care systems responsive to the current needs and future growth of the aging population.
The AAA coordinates and offers services that help preserve the independence and dignity of older adults by providing services and supports that enable them to remain living in their homes and communities for as long as possible. Services such as home-delivered meals, homemaker assistance, respite care and others promote independent living as a viable option. By making a range of supports available, AAA’s make it possible for older individuals to choose the services and living arrangements that suit them best.
Area Agency on Aging Responsibilities
- Assess the needs of older adults in the community and develop and fund programs that respond to those needs;
- Educate and provide direct assistance to consumers about available community resources for long-term services and supports;
- Serve as a single point of entry to assistance by assessing multiple service needs, determining eligibility, providing or referring to services and monitoring the appropriateness and cost effectiveness of services;
- Supports needs of special populations of physically and mentally impaired, abused, neglected or exploited, as well as those of advanced age without a caregiver to assist them when in need;
- Promote healthy lifestyles through education and fitness programs;
- Represent the interest of local seniors at state and national levels;
- Continually research and identify new and innovative funding opportunities for older adults; and
- Demonstrate responsible fiscal stewardship by maximizing use of public and private funding to serve as many consumers as possible.