Mississippi Access to Care (MAC Center) is proud to partnership with Catholic Charities of Jackson to bring the Kinship Care Navigator Program to our area. Funded by the Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services, the program was created to support caregivers by offering information, referrals, and connections to federal, local, and state programs.
Kinship care is a family centered approach that enhances and improves the connections and dynamics between all family members through supportive services for those caring for loved ones full-time between the ages of birth to 18. The overall goal is to help kinship caregivers “navigate” towards a newfound happiness while removing barriers to needed resources and promoting child safety, permanency, and well-being.
Kinship Navigator Program
SMPDD’s MAC Center is providing intake and referral services for the program to support the case management efforts by the team at Catholic Charities. The program is currently available in Clarke, Covington, Forrest, Hancock, Harrison, George, Greene, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson Davis, Jones, Kemper, Lamar, Lauderdale, Leake, Marion, Newton, Neshoba, Pearl River, Perry, Scott, Smith, Stone, and Wayne counties with future phases to expand statewide.
Benefits of the Kinship Program
• Assist Kinship caregivers in overcoming economic, financial, and educational issues.
• Assist Kinship caregivers in building long lasting relational bonds while providing stability
• Equips Kinship Caregivers with family centered and strength based training in an effort to increase parenting knowledge.
• Promotes opportunities for establishing and building memories.
Kinship Care Makes the Difference
The Kinship Navigator Program connects caregivers to helpful information and resources such as but not limited to:
• Child Care Resources
• Family Support Meetings/Groups
• Educational Guidance/Issues
• TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
• Medicaid Eligibility & Services
• Housing Assistance Resources
• Legal Assistance/Services
• Trainings & Workshops
• Medical, Dental & Vision Resources